Addressing Your Concerns

You are entitled to fully understand what happens in court, how decisions were made and the reasons for certain decisions. If you have any questions, you should ask the judge before you leave court. The judge may be able to explain why and how decisions were made. You should never leave court without fully understanding the orders of the court. If you are uncertain about any aspect of your case, be sure to get an answer from the court before you leave. There are some limitations to the information the Court can provide to you. For instance, the judge and the court clerks cannot give you legal advice or tell you what you should or should not do in your case.

If questions arise after you have left court, you should call or write to the court and ask your questions. You may ask to schedule a hearing so that you can ask the judge in person. If you choose to submit your questions in the form of a letter, please be advised that the court is required to provide a copy of that letter to all interested parties in the case. ( i.e. Prosecutor, defense attorney)

If you are dissatisfied with the explanation of the court, you may file an appeal in writing to the Summit County Justice Court within 28 days of either the judgement/sentence date, or the date that the decision was rendered. If you appeal from a conviction, you are entitled to a new trial in the Third District Court. If you are appealing from a plea-in-abeyance agreement or other decision of the court, your are entitled to a new hearing.